Wheat Biscuits For Healthy Snacking

According to a survey by the American Dietetic Association (ADA), the majority of working people eat lunch (67%) and snack (61%) at their desks and over one-third eat breakfast there. So, we know now most of us have a habit of munching something after every few hours (workplace snacking habit) and specially when stressed, under pressure, or bored. And don't even realize the amount of intake but can go for something or anything within reach. If what we are munching is unhealthy and full of calories like chips, cookies, chocolates, pizzas, pastries leads to a lot of fat gain. Avoiding snacks is not the answer as snacking helps you in overeating at meals and also in keeping up your energy levels.

I take my own lunch still the craving is there. I am able to resist it in first half but around 4 or 5, I am starving. As I am one of those and I just can't change this habit, I opted for something which is healthy and nutritious like fruits or low carb biscuits. I buy a stock of fruits and bring 1-2 each day or on weekends I make some low calorie cookies or biscuits which will be enough for a week. If you are working and love baking, you can easily make these for you and store in air tight containers. Trick is to eat with a full glass of water to feel more fuller faster and not coffee or tea. Munch away your office hours with these low fat, low calorie whole wheat biscuits.




Ingredients

1 cup whole wheat flour
3 tbsp Bran
1/2 cup all purpose flour
150 gm chilled butter
1 cup caster sugar
milk as required

Method


* In a large bowl mix wheat flour, bran and all purpose flour.
* Add butter cut into small cubes and mix with the tips of your finger slowly till the mixture starts looking like breadcrumbs.
* Then add the superfine sugar followed by cold milk.
* Knead the mixture into a smooth dough.
* Using some flour, roll out the dough into biscuit like thickness.
* Using cutters, cut the dough rolled out into shapes you want.
* On a baking tray, apply some butter and place the biscuits.
* Bake the biscuits in a preheated oven at 160°C, till done.
* Let them cool and then store in airtight containers.

9 comments:

ann low on August 7, 2009 at 6:34 AM said...

I have never use wheat flour to make cookie. Will try it out one day.

Parita on August 7, 2009 at 7:36 AM said...

Truly healthy and so simple to make!

Touria on August 7, 2009 at 8:21 AM said...

hi
hmmmm so délicious for a healthy snacking
thanks for sharing

Sharon on August 7, 2009 at 8:31 AM said...

I am such an office desk snacker! My husband's office doesn't allow eating at your desk...I sometimes wish mine would institute the same policy!

Unknown on August 7, 2009 at 10:37 AM said...

That's one lovely biscuit. They looks so delicious.

Snooky doodle on August 7, 2009 at 11:29 AM said...

these are ideal for snacking! thanks for sharing :)
thanks for visiting my blog :)

Anh on August 7, 2009 at 3:34 PM said...

I think these biscuits make really good snack. I sometimes get a sugar craving at work and I certainly do not want to reach out for ice-cream!

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog on August 7, 2009 at 5:28 PM said...

I'm the one that eat snacks at the desk.. trying to be healthy, but not always I've had success.
These biscuits can be a tasty-healthy alternative :D

Thanks for sharing!

All the best,

Gera

Donna-FFW on August 9, 2009 at 4:24 AM said...

This looks like a great snacking cookie with the healthiness tucked in there. Id love to try these with a cup of java.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Followers

Cooking Pleasures Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template