The occasion was Rakshabandhan, a festival for brothers and sisters. My brother came. Its been a month since I last met him. Hence, the time was indeed special and so I had to make something special too to match up with the occasion and taste buds of my brother, who is a great foodie and had a sweet tooth like me. So what best came to my mind was a Trifle, excellent for a summer dessert with layers of cream custard , fruits, mass of sponge cake and juice of fruits.
Custard Trifle is more easy, if you could get a ready made sponge cake from the market. It is one of the typical desserts of the English cuisine. The ingredients are distributed in layers by the sponge cake as separation with cream or custard as the last layer. I wanted a break from chocolate, so i opted for a custard one. With small variations, you could make a chocolate, lemon, or strawberry trifle. Although making a trifle is very easy but to make the best trifle you should star preparations a day before.
1/2 kg sponge cake
3-4 tbsp orange juice
1 apple chopped
2-3 bananas chopped
5-6 strawberries chopped
1/2 cup pineapple chopped
2-3 vanilla custard powder
2 cup whole milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup whipped cream
few nuts chopped
* Boil milk in a heavy bottom saucepan.
* Lower the heat and add 2-3 tbsp of sugar according to your taste
* Meanwhile dissolve custard powder in 2-3 tbsp milk.
* Add this in the milk. Keep on stirring till it becomes thick.
* Remove from heat and let it cool.
* Mix all the fruits and sprinkle some sugar on them. Refrigerate them for around one hour.
* Slice the cake in 2-3 layers horizontally. Place one layer in the base of a deep large glass bowl.
* Pour 1 tbsp of orange juice on the cake layer.
* Spoon the fruits over the sponge. Spread the custard over the fruit. Then add another layer of cake following the same process.
* Leave the flavor to develop overnight in the fridge.
* Whip the cream until it is firm, fold in sugar to taste, and spoon on top of the custard.
* Sprinkle chopped nuts and some fresh fruits to decorate.