Navratri Special -Suji Halwa

Finally parents have arrived. Family is all together after a long long time. Since morning house has been bustling with activity. Aroma of delicious breakfast my mommy was cooking almost filled my hungry stomach. I sat in a corner taking in the activities, beaming with pleasure. I was in back seat and mom was in control. I cant tell how relaxed I felt. Mothers have some magic with them or being a mother is the magic enough to make the simple food tastier. I really wonder !!

Semolina pudding or suji halwa is one of the easiest sweet delicacy cooked in every home all across the country. The warm goodness is known to engulf all the morning worries and the sweetness stays through out the day. On Ashtami or Naumi, on the closure of Navratri, in almost every home suji halwa is made to break the fast and celebrate the glory of Goddess Durga. My mom too made it along with hot puris and black chickpea (masala chana)., the traditional Navratri feast.



Ingredients

1 cup semolina (suji)
1 cup sugar
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup water
3 tbsp ghee
chopped nuts & raisins


Method

* In a wok dry roast semolina for few minutes on medium heat.
* When slightly brown in color, add ghee. Mix well
* Meanwhile, in another pan boil water. Add sugar.
* Keep on stirring till the sugar dissolves.
* Add the sugar syrup, along with milk in the wok, stirring continuously to avoid any lump formation.
* Let it cook for few minutes, till the water is absorbed by the semolina.
* Serve hot garnished with raisins and nuts.

17 comments:

ann low on September 26, 2009 at 6:38 AM said...

This is first time I came across using semolina flour in this method. I only use to bake it. Very interesting!

Sushma Mallya on September 26, 2009 at 7:38 AM said...

Looks very delicious...i liked the pic of mung dal burfi also...looks so perfect and nice

Palidor on September 26, 2009 at 7:44 AM said...

You're so right that moms can work magic in the kitchen and around the house. Halwa looks delicious!

Unknown on September 26, 2009 at 9:54 AM said...

lovely pic and delicious Halwa recipe yum.

Priya Suresh on September 26, 2009 at 11:23 AM said...

Suji halwa looks fabulous and delicious..

Anonymous said...

hey, thanks for the comment in my blog..I love xplanding the blogging circle..so thanks for the comment.

Home Cooked Oriya Food on September 26, 2009 at 6:05 PM said...

looks so wonderful... Moms cooking is the best... They know exactly what you like and make it your way!

Parita on September 27, 2009 at 3:38 AM said...

Suji halwa looks delicious, enjoy your stay with your parents :)

Unknown on September 27, 2009 at 4:15 AM said...

My favorite halwa, looks delicious.

Malar Gandhi on September 27, 2009 at 6:47 AM said...

SImple and elegant presentation.like it.

Like your other recipe on halwa too, looks gorgeous and inviting.

Saraswathy Balakrishnan on September 27, 2009 at 12:15 PM said...

Very tempting suji recipe..thanks for visiting my blog..u have a wonderful selection of recipe there in ur space..keep it up and hope that u would sign in as a follower of my blog..thanks

Sanghi on September 27, 2009 at 6:26 PM said...

Delicious halwa.. loved your presentation and click! If you wish send this to my FIL-Ghee event, do check my blog for details..!

Anita on September 28, 2009 at 2:40 AM said...

This sounds quite nice. I've never seen it here in Australia. I'd love to give it a go!

Sarah Naveen on September 28, 2009 at 5:51 AM said...

Wow!!! though i m not a big sweet lover,recipes like this makes me drool!!

Urmi on September 28, 2009 at 7:03 PM said...

I am very much fond of sweets specially suji halwa is one of my favourite. You have presented very beautifully with delicious picture.

Karine on September 30, 2009 at 7:19 PM said...

This is the first time I hear about that sweet and it looks delicious! thanks for sharing:)

Kana on October 2, 2009 at 3:44 AM said...

Can't wait to see my mom in a week!!! She used to make this on special occasions :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Followers

Cooking Pleasures Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template