Festival Special Sweets - Mung Dal Burfi

Diwali one of the most awaited festival of the year, is just round the corner and I am feeling nostalgic. I fondly remember my Mom making various sweets beforehand and store them, while I and my brother peeping inside the kitchen, waiting for Mom to leave so that we can have a handful of them. If caught then always blaming each other. Then laughing and running to escape the scoldings. Such were the festival holidays full of fun and frolic. Now when I am the owner of my own home and my whole family is coming over to celebrate the festival, I am finding myself full of ideas from decorating the house to making sweets. I want to make all what they will love. Specially my mom. It will be great to see her beaming face, when her daughter has made something which is just perfect to appease her.

I started with something very easy and quick yet a lovely sweet. My dad and my mom both love mung dal ki burfi. You can store them for quite a few days. But I don't think that case will happen. Mung dal burfi is so good that it gets finished in moments. Serve them to guests and see their beaming faces.



Ingredients

250g Mung Dal (split yellow grams)
250g sugar
3-4 cup water
100g khoa/mawa
2-3 tbsp ghee/oil
2-3 tbsp pistachio, almonds & cashew nuts sliced

Method

* Soak the grams in enough water, few hours(2-3) before you require.
* Using a strainer remove water.
* Grind the grams in food processor, to make a paste.
* Heat oil or ghee in a non stick pan and add the grams paste in it.
* Keep on stirring till the paste turns light brown in color.
* Add khoa/mava. Mix well, cook for few more minutes and set aside.
* Meanwhile, in another pan heat 2-3 cups of water and add sugar to it, to make sugar syrup. Boil water till it achieves one sring consistency.
* Add this sugar syrup to the gram paste. Mix properly and further cook for few minutes.
* Grease a tray with little butter or oil and add pour the gram paste in it.
* Sprinkle the sliced pistachios, cashews and almonds on top.
* Let it remain as such for few hours to set. Once set, cut into any shape of your choice.

19 comments:

Parita on September 22, 2009 at 5:44 AM said...

Beautiful click Anshika! Love the bright yellow color!

Unknown on September 22, 2009 at 5:52 AM said...

Wow...looks very beautiful..we call it moong dal halwa...but never thought of making pieces like you did...very nice

ann low on September 22, 2009 at 6:48 AM said...

Have never try this before. Looks so delicious and the color too :)

Shri on September 22, 2009 at 7:24 AM said...

You are right!Diwali is just around the corner and it totally slipped my mind..I love this burfi and the color..This is one sweet I am going to try.Will let you know how it turned out!I get a lil' nervous while making Indian sweets:D

chow and chatter on September 22, 2009 at 7:27 AM said...

wow great job looks yummy

kamala on September 22, 2009 at 7:58 AM said...

lovely dish and nice snap

Priya Suresh on September 22, 2009 at 9:52 AM said...

Beautiful moongdal burfi, lovely presentation!

Pari Vasisht on September 22, 2009 at 10:08 AM said...

Wow amazing click with that bright yellow colour. It's nice to remember the good old childhood days and truly it's the best way to celebrate the festive occassion with the family.

Unknown on September 22, 2009 at 10:51 AM said...

wow very delicious recipe beautiful pic.

Padma on September 22, 2009 at 1:51 PM said...

Looks so tempting... delicious burfi... never tasted this sweet .. has come out in good color and shape

Priya dharshini on September 22, 2009 at 4:33 PM said...

wow..ur mong dal burfi recipe is great.Rich and yummy one

Home Cooked Oriya Food on September 22, 2009 at 4:53 PM said...

lovley click... Looks so yum - I want a piece too...

Sanghi on September 22, 2009 at 7:47 PM said...

Yummy easy sweet delight..!

Lavanya Raj on September 22, 2009 at 9:55 PM said...

Looks Delicious!! Love the Colour of the sweet..

Pari Vasisht on September 23, 2009 at 3:31 AM said...

Hi! kindly accept a few awards and pick them from my blog.And pls do acknowledge.

Sarah Naveen on September 23, 2009 at 7:58 AM said...

Simply Yummy!!!

Palidor on September 23, 2009 at 10:59 AM said...

I've never tried mung dal barfi. Looks wonderful!

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog on September 24, 2009 at 12:23 PM said...

Never tried mong dal burfi but looks absolutely delicious :) I'd like to have it here right now...

Cheers!

Gera

cindy* on September 26, 2009 at 5:09 PM said...

what a nice daughter ;)

these sweets are so lovely. the color is great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Followers

Cooking Pleasures Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template