An extended weekend of 3 days is not always you get. I was lucky to get this after a long long time. Previously I was planning to go somewhere. But a few things were pending from a long time, for which usually I don't get time in weekdays. So, I decided to be at home make good use of time, try new recipes and enjoy a lazy weekend just lying and roaming in the house and doing whatever I love to do.
These weekends are such a joy. Just one day and I watched a movie, slept, cleaned the house and cooked. With working women cleaning becomes a weekend task only. Washing of clothes and then readying them for the week ahead and finally organizing the cupboard. I can do all this on a weekend only. At times a weekend day even seems to be a working day. But still the joy is there in doing these small tasks too. And we women enjoy this.
After all this what I managed to cook was something very easy. Baked garlic mushrooms and Pesto Pasta. From the week my tongue was longing for a taste of herbs. I included this in both the recipes. First comes the recipe of baked garlic mushrooms and then I will share the Pesto Pasta. May be some dessert too, as the occasion is Janmashtmi.
12 large mushrooms
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup coarse dry bread crumbs, preferably from Italian bread
2 garlic cloves (minced with a garlic press)
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, (1/4 tsp dried)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
* In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp butter. Add breadcrumbs.
* Cook them stirring continuosly on medium heat till the moisture evaporates and they are brown.
* Wash the mushrooms properly and slice them length wise.
* In another pan heat another tbsp of oil. Ass lengthwise sliced garlic, thyme, salt, black pepper, and mushrooms.
* Heat for few minutes. Take care not to overheat.
* Grease a baking dish with butter or oil and add mushrooms.
* Sprinkle all the breadcrumbs over the mushrooms and bake in a preheated oven at 100 degrees for 15-20 minutes, till the mushrooms are tender and the breadcrumbs are from brown to dark brown in color.