Rice Pudding With Orange Flavoring

There are many of us who have a strong urge to have something sweet from time to time. And when we are invited for dinner by any of our friends, colleagues or relative, what we look forward to is desserts. And I am just that kind of a person. No matter how good might be the food, I make sure that I have space reserved in my tummy for the dessert. Although any dessert means a lot of calories even if most of the steps have been carried out to reduce the calories. Still that has no relation with the craving.

To end this craving I made, rice pudding this weekend finally. And while I was making it, a wonderful thing happened, it started raining. Initially I wanted to have a chilled dessert but when I was through, I couldn't resist and ate it when it was warm. Rains had made the temperature dip and in that cool weather when I had this warm dessert, it was such a heavenly feeling. The orange flavoring gave such a wonderful aroma and a change from the traditional rice pudding.



Ingredients

For rice pudding
1 cup rice
3 cup milk
1 cup cream
1/2 cup coconut milk (optional)
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
3 tbsp caster sugar

For flavoring

1 cup orange juice
2 tbsp honey

Method

* Before making rice pudding, wash and soak rice in water for half an hour.
* First prepare the flavoring. For it in a saucepan add orange juice and honey and boil on medium heat till it thickens like syrup.
* Set it aside to cool.
* Take another saucepan and boil milk.
* Drain and add rice to the boiling milk, reduce heat to low and cook for some time, stirring continuously.
* Cook till the rice is soft and the milk is thickened.
* Add cardamom powder, cream and sugar. Stir and set it aside to cool.
* Refrigerate for an hour.
* Serve in chilled bowls with orange flavoring on top.
* If you want you can add chopped nuts.

Note: Coconut milk not only thickens the pudding but also make it tastier.

6 comments:

ann low on July 27, 2009 at 7:45 AM said...

I never try this before, looks delicious.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen on July 27, 2009 at 8:28 AM said...

You have some lovely recipes here and a cute blog! I am going to peek around a bit :) Thanks for your visit to my blog.

~Susan

Parita on July 27, 2009 at 9:43 AM said...

Lovely! similar to kheer but never tried with orange and honey before, sounds different!

Tres Jolie Studios on July 27, 2009 at 2:20 PM said...

Oh yum!! This would be a wonderful (if not a bit indulgent) breakfast!

Ms. Meanie on July 27, 2009 at 8:12 PM said...

I love rice pudding with cardamom (it's just how my mom makes it -- the traditional Indian way). And you are right -- rain and dessert make very nice together!

Unknown on July 28, 2009 at 12:59 PM said...

Looks delicious, your photos are awesome, looks very professional.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Followers

Cooking Pleasures Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template