Granola Bars - Deliciously Healthy

In order to keep up with my new year resolutions and do away with the excess of granola packets, I tried making healthy granola bars last weekend. Although granola makes a great breakfast in terms of time it needs to be prepared. But after consuming it number of times, it has become almost tasteless to me. So, I decided on giving tasteless granola a twist by combining them with dates. Those who like the taste of dates will love this recipe.

Granola bars are chewy, crunchy and crispy with not too much of sweetness. They make a great afternoon snack for the untimely hunger pangs. And when you are devouring a good book on the cozy couch, you can have them to save yourself from getting up and breaking the continuity. Being an avid reader myself, I hate getting up to make anything specially when I am on the verge of reading a good book.



I was a bit finicky when I was making them being my first time. But the bars came out to be good. The flavor of the dates gave them just the proper sweetness and the lemon juice the perfect tanginess. And both granola and dates combination made the granola bars rich in fibre, natural sugar and nutrition.The main thing to keep in mind is the time of baking. Otherwise you can refrigerate them too, if you don't want to bake them.


Ingredients

1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup pitted dates
1/2 cup dried and roughly chopped raisins, walnuts, cranberries and almonds
(or 1 cup granola)

Method

* In a pan boil the dates with a little amount of water.
* Remove from heat and let it cool.
* Then blend it into a blender to form a thick paste.
* Melt butter in a pan.
* Add lime juice and honey followed by oats, dried fruits and chopped nuts(basically the granola)
* Saute for few minutes and add the date paste. Mix well.
* In a greased baking tray, place the mixture and smoothen out the top using an oiled knife.
* Bake for just about 15-20 minutes in a preheated oven at 180°C.
* Cool it into a refrigerator for about 10-15 minutes.
* Once the mixture sets, cut it into small bars ans store them in an air tight container.

11 comments:

Veggie Hut on January 28, 2010 at 8:33 AM said...

They look tempting..

TREAT AND TRICK on January 28, 2010 at 9:39 AM said...

Such a lovely bars, I want to have a bite now!

Finla on January 28, 2010 at 9:45 AM said...

I love this , i know it is healthy but this gives a much more nicer look than the blands one.
Bookmarking them.

Priya Suresh on January 28, 2010 at 12:33 PM said...

Such a catchy granola bars...looks tremendous..

Unknown on January 28, 2010 at 6:51 PM said...

They look surely lovely.

Parita on January 29, 2010 at 7:31 AM said...

I was planning to make these too, these would be perfect to munch on in between the meals

Deepa G Joshi on January 29, 2010 at 10:02 AM said...

wow, no sugar..and yet sweet..great for a person like me who has a sweet tooth..these look so good.

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog on January 30, 2010 at 3:50 PM said...

I consume often granola bars and I can say this one is absolutely gorgeous :)

Happy weekend,

Gera

Ash on February 1, 2010 at 4:16 AM said...

WOW!!!! Awesome looking bars..... Very tempting & persuades me to taste some.... bites.... No sugar makes it even more fantastic!!!!!

Ash...
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Anjum on February 8, 2010 at 4:46 AM said...

yummy n healthy!!
Great work.
Do drop by at http://anjuskitchentreasures.blogspot.com/

Home recipes on May 17, 2010 at 1:35 AM said...

I found this post as I was going round looking for more Granola bar recipes. This is an old post but I wanted to talk about the recipe. We use orange juice and sometimes grape fruit but I recognize that lime too can be good as with yours. You see my associate uses California dates for the fact that a food science expert said it contains B-complex vitamins, magnesium and iron but I think all dates have that.

For a start, I think you have done well because the bars look great.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Followers

Cooking Pleasures Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template