Fried Onion Rings - For Tea Time

Winters have started with misty mornings and cold evenings. And cold evenings call for hot cups of ginger tea
along with some quick knick knacks. Although snacks can be as simple as biscuits or something sweet. But if you will ask my choice, then I am always on for something crunchy, crispy & salty. Most of the week I have to suffice myself with readymade items. But on weekends, I indulge myself fully in making every effort to enjoy my tea time.

Onion rings are simple "bhajiyas" which is usually made in any Indian home. But making crunchy rings is a trick which I have learnt from my mother and she has from her mother. When we keep sliced onions with salt. Then after few minutes they release water which is sufficient for making batter for bhajiyas. As soon as I got back home I salted the onions and kept them. Then I continued with my other things. After 10-15 minutes when I started, enough water was there. The aroma which started coming was in itself very overwhelming. Along with it I made hot cups of ginger tea. Both made wonderful combo. So what are you waiting, enjoy your cold winter evenings with something hot n crunchy.

This is off to the Tea Time Snack Event on Simple Indian Food.




Ingredients


2-3 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced in rings

1 cup of gram flour

1 cup of fresh green cillantro leaves chopped

¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder

¼ teaspoon of oregano

¼ teaspoon of fresh green chilies chopped fine

¼ teaspoon of red chili powder

Salt to taste

Oil as required for frying

Method

* In a large bowl add salt to the onion rings and leave for about 15-20 minutes.

* Then add gram flour followed by all the other ingredients.

* Mix well.

* In a wok, heat oil.

* Take out each onion ring or a small portion of the batter and drop into the hot oil.

* Deep fry till they turn golden brown in color.

* Pat the onion rings on an absorbent paper to soak the excess oil.

* Seve them hot with green chutney or cheese dip for tea.

Note: Don't use water, if you want to make crispy rings.

13 comments:

Sunitha on December 18, 2009 at 10:56 AM said...

Nice job...looks yummy

Priya Suresh on December 18, 2009 at 1:21 PM said...

Prefect evening snacks for this cold evening..

Sarah Naveen on December 18, 2009 at 2:45 PM said...

Another great pic with a yummy recipe..
perfect tea time snack..

Unknown on December 18, 2009 at 5:05 PM said...

This happens to be one of my fav..tea time snack..used to hog on a lott during my school years..thats so nice refreshes my memory..will try to make sometime..

Home Cooked Oriya Food on December 18, 2009 at 6:26 PM said...

yommo! Awesome click too!

Rekha shoban on December 18, 2009 at 7:13 PM said...

thank for visiting my blog dear....lot of interesting recipe u have...will often visit ur blog. im following u.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover on December 18, 2009 at 10:34 PM said...

This look good.

Parita on December 19, 2009 at 12:19 AM said...

I can have these anytime, yummy and crispy snack :-)

EC on December 19, 2009 at 11:18 PM said...

Looks so tempting...thanks a lot for the entry

Dolly Sharma on December 20, 2009 at 3:04 PM said...

Wow, Crispy, yummy and inviting. Your Fried Onion Rings look perfect for tea time. Can you send me some ...I'll enjoy it with my hot ginger tea...

Raks on December 21, 2009 at 8:51 PM said...

Awesome photography! Looks mouthwatering Anshika!

Mythreyi Dilip on December 23, 2009 at 8:31 AM said...

Excellent click, onion rings are very inviting for this season:)

sangeeta on December 23, 2009 at 10:08 AM said...

the picture is great Anshika !!
this is my husband's fave bhajia n we call it pyaj ka lachha ...

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Followers

Cooking Pleasures Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template