News !! Reasons to rejoice and celebrate. I have got myself my own domain. In one more day all will be set, further changes will follow like new design and other new interesting things which will make my foodie friends enjoy my blog even more.
So to celebrate, I ended up making Gulab Jamuns. This was my second attempt and the results were even better. May be my happiness got into those sweet balls !! My first attempt was on Diwali, which by luck also came out to be pretty good.
When Srivalli announced the new ICC in October, reading the name of the dish gave me fritters. I wondered if yet again I will be able to fulfill the challenge or not. Frankly speaking I have been always little skeptical in making Gulab Jamuns. Giving the round shape then facing the frying disasters really frightens me. Although when it comes to having gulab jamuns then I can gorge lots n lots of them. I have seen my mom making them but mom is mom and I am a daughter. Nothing can be compared to the perfection of a mother. But thanks to Srivalli, finally I have been able to shed away my fears and make such delicious soft and gooey syrapy sweet balls ie. Gulab jamuns. Next time whem my mom will come, I will definitely make for her.
For gulab jamuns
2 cup khoya
1 cup plain flour
1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
Oil for frying
For sugar syrup
2-3 cup sugar
a few saffron strands (not necessary)
2-3 cup water
For making sugar syrup
* In a thick bottom pan, heat water. Dissolve sugar and bring it to boil.
* Let it simmer for few minutes till one string consistency is achieved. From time to time remove the scum from top.
* Add the saffron strands.
For making balls
* In a large bowl, add flour, khoya and cardomom powder. Mix well using hands.
* Knead into a firm dough using a liitle oil. Do not use water.
* Make small firm round balls from the dough.
* Keep the balls in refrigerator for 15-20 minutes. This will prevent them from cracking while frying.
* In a wok heat oil and deep fry these balls on slow flame till golden in color.
* Soak the balls in the sugar syrup for about half an hour.
* Serve them hot