Gulab Jamuns - Reason To Celebrate

News !! Reasons to rejoice and celebrate. I have got myself my own domain. In one more day all will be set, further changes will follow like new design and other new interesting things which will make my foodie friends enjoy my blog even more.

So to celebrate, I ended up making Gulab Jamuns. This was my second attempt and the results were even better. May be my happiness got into those sweet balls !! My first attempt was on Diwali, which by luck also came out to be pretty good.

When Srivalli announced the new ICC in October, reading the name of the dish gave me fritters. I wondered if yet again I will be able to fulfill the challenge or not. Frankly speaking I have been always little skeptical in making Gulab Jamuns. Giving the round shape then facing the frying disasters really frightens me. Although when it comes to having gulab jamuns then I can gorge lots n lots of them. I have seen my mom making them but mom is mom and I am a daughter. Nothing can be compared to the perfection of a mother. But thanks to Srivalli, finally I have been able to shed away my fears and make such delicious soft and gooey syrapy sweet balls ie. Gulab jamuns. Next time whem my mom will come, I will definitely make for her.




Ingredients
For gulab jamuns

2 cup khoya
1 cup plain flour
1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
Oil for frying

For sugar syrup

2-3 cup sugar
a few saffron strands (not necessary)
2-3 cup water

Method

For making sugar syrup

* In a thick bottom pan, heat water. Dissolve sugar and bring it to boil.
* Let it simmer for few minutes till one string consistency is achieved. From time to time remove the scum from top.
* Add the saffron strands.

For making balls

* In a large bowl, add flour, khoya and cardomom powder. Mix well using hands.
* Knead into a firm dough using a liitle oil. Do not use water.
* Make small firm round balls from the dough.
* Keep the balls in refrigerator for 15-20 minutes. This will prevent them from cracking while frying.
* In a wok heat oil and deep fry these balls on slow flame till golden in color.
* Soak the balls in the sugar syrup for about half an hour.
* Serve them hot

14 comments:

Priya Suresh on November 13, 2009 at 1:07 PM said...

Such a spongy and soft jamuns!

Unknown on November 13, 2009 at 1:49 PM said...

Congrats on your new domain! Gulab jamun looks just perfect!

Unknown on November 13, 2009 at 2:15 PM said...

The jamuns have come out perfect...and congrats for your domain..will see you soon in your new space.

Home Cooked Oriya Food on November 13, 2009 at 5:08 PM said...

awesome gulab jamuns!
Congrats on your own domain...

Palidor on November 14, 2009 at 4:15 AM said...

I love gulab jamun! Yours are so perfectly shaped and with such wonderful color.

Sanghi on November 14, 2009 at 5:40 AM said...

congrats on own domain.. jamuns looks really delicious!

Parita on November 14, 2009 at 11:50 AM said...

Congratulations my dear! Gulab Jamun looks just perfect, love your pictures!

Rohini on November 15, 2009 at 4:17 AM said...

Gulab Jamun look delicious!! I loved ur comment "Mom is mom"...Sure, noone can beat mom's perfection! :)
Congrats on moving to ur own domain, Good luck!

Bhagi on November 15, 2009 at 9:16 PM said...

Jamoon looks delicious.....

lata raja on November 15, 2009 at 11:02 PM said...

Congratulations and celebrations with perfect jamuns is apt!

Usha on November 16, 2009 at 9:53 AM said...

Congrats on your new domain. The jamuns look just perfect and so tempting....

Aparna Balasubramanian on November 20, 2009 at 2:36 AM said...

That's a very lovely picture. And the gulab jamun looks delish!

HaRy!! on November 20, 2009 at 4:26 AM said...

ooo yu dont realise how essential these are to someone who is away from family..gonna do this over the weekend..thanks and keep trotting to my space

HaRy

kitchen queen on December 4, 2009 at 5:50 AM said...

Hi u have a nice blog.you can visit my blog and give ur comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Followers

Cooking Pleasures Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template